So what’s happened?

Well you’ve probably noticed I’ve been absent for a couple of weeks. Well my unit was subject to an attempted break in on Wednesday/Thursday last week. They bent the locking pin on the shutter doors and caused some damage to one of the runners.

I’ve now repaired the damage, but it scared me and so I decided to call it a day down there. I hate most of my neighbours – honestly they’re thoughtless thick people. I’m not tolerant of people like this.

And thus, after applying for and being successful in my application I’m now in the process of moving into a rather nice and comfy unit; heated, well lit, and without the concern that my door will be constantly blocked by people who have an IQ similar to that of a kumquat.

As you’ll see it’s much bigger than my current one…

The shutter alone is a full 1ft wider! Outside my main door there’s a small breakout area, and up at the end of the corridor I have toilets, showers, a kitchen, and vending machines.

I think I’m going to be a lot happier here!

Bastards.

I’ve had an attempted break in at my unit. They bent the lock plates but failed to get the shutter open. It appears that they have a scattergun approach to which units they break into. They successfully managed to get into one across the yard.

So basically, I’m moving. I’ve applied for a new unit and have been accepted. I’ll be giving notice on the old one this week. It’s easy in and easy out so only 30 days notice required.

Arse!

A call at 4am resulted in me talking someone through stopping a possible fire. A contactor had overheated and the arc chute was glowing bright red. I told them to turn all the breakers on that particular circuit off this removing the load.

When I got there I found this.

Obviously that’s been burning. I couldn’t get one quickly so for safety I removed the outgoing power from the left hand phase of the left hand contactor so it could not be loaded up even if someone accidentally turned on the breakers.

Sadly, the replacement is going to cost in excess of £500. It’s an AC1 300A one (basically AC1 is the highest load rating out there) and because it’s running heating it needs to be AC1 for sure.

I’ve ordered a replacement but it won’t be here till Tuesday.

This was a huge pain to fit!

Sorry for the blurring, but this is a customer’s property. This thing was a massive pain to fit. Really old (200 years) farmhouse walls. I had to run power (ethernet POE) from a nearby socket but avoid using trunking. I did a diagonal hole, targeting adjacent the socket and with my longest drill bit I ended up about 3″ off target. Not too bad. The only bit of visible cable is behind a fridge.

Annoying…

I had a faulty fire alarm panel recently. When I contacted the manufacturer they asked me to return the base card for repair.

I did this; and when it came back from them all the green terminal blocks which are used to connect cables in had been removed. Luckily I had just enough to finish the job but I had to cannibalise my programming lead.

Luckily in my workshop I have a dead fire panel with most of the connectors still in the box so I was able to perform a repair. I’ve since hot glued the connectors to try and give them a little strain relief.

The afternoon finished with horrible rain. It’s now absolutely throwing it down and we have possible rain or snow forecast for tomorrow.